The Historical Museum of the City of Ferrette was founded in 1948 by Leonie Vogelweid, sister in law of Leon Lehmann. Located in the City Hall, it was closed in 1963. However many charts, documents, engravings and models still exist today.
These collections include
- geological and prehistoric findings of Dr. Herring (1861-1914) : rocks, fossils and bones of prehistoric animals found in the Alsatian Jura
- weapons from the sixteenth century to the First World War
- production casts from the factories located in Lucelle
- unusual objects such as a meteorite found in 1947, Dr. Herring’s velocipede (1890).
An area of the Vogelweid -Lehmann house could be reserved for these collections for them to be better appreciated and allowing them to be once again accessible to the public.
“The local history is very rich, marked by the Counts of Ferrette and Montbéliard, the Habsburgs , Mazarin , the Prince of Monaco .The intention is not to have a dusty museum of odds and ends but to design exhibitions that interest the local public and tourists alike, as well as providing support to teachers and students from the Sundgau. It should be a lively place for all age groups to raise an awareness of painting, art … “
Jean- Jacques Kielwasser , founding president of Ferrette Treasures